|The Ascension Island Newspaper
| Issue No. 2222
||Thursday 24 July 2014
|Home | January 2013|
Articles published in January 2013Select individual articles below or view all 38 articles on one page.
38 articles published
|Jan (42)||Feb (15)||Mar (29)|
|Apr (21)||May (25)||Jun (22)|
|Jan (38)||Feb (26)||Mar (40)|
|Apr (36)||May (56)||Jun (42)|
|Jul (7)||Aug (23)||Sep (27)|
|Oct (34)||Nov (23)||Dec (19)|
|Jan (52)||Feb (30)||Mar (61)|
|Apr (32)||May (47)||Jun (47)|
|Jul (35)||Aug (32)||Sep (3)|
|Oct (37)||Nov (57)||Dec (28)|
- 1: Met Office - Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 31.01.2013
- Ascension: Mainly dry but isolated light showers affected some parts, mainly around Green Mountain with sunny spells developing away from the showers.
- 2: Editor's Comment - Carrie - Ascension (Letters) - 31.01.2013
- Well today has been rather busy about Town with the Tourist Ship Quest for Adventure and The RMS in our harbor, well they have come and gone and now it’s back to waiting on the next bit of excitement for Ascension!
- 3: Letters To The Islander - Ascension (Letters) - 31.01.2013
- Greetings from Fogo Island, designated by the Flat Earth Society, as one of the four corners.
- 4: Hash Trash: 1447 - Ascension (Sport) - 31.01.2013
- This week your favourite hashing ensemble gathered at the Sooty Tern sign at the head of Mars Bay. Over-n-Done With’s triumphant return complete with stories of snow angels was slightly marred by the failure of her trusty sidekick to make an appearance.
- 5: Conservation Weekly - Ascension (Conservation) - 31.01.2013
- As the summer comes along, the seabirds are having a mixed season. Following on from the fantastic news of the first nesting Ascension Frigate birds to nest on the mainland for over 180 years one of the pairs
- 6: Meeting of the Ascension Island Council, 21 January 2013 - Ascension (Government) - 31.01.2013
- The Ascension Island Council met on 21 January in the Court House. The Governor, HE Mark Capes, presided by telephone from St Helena.
- 7: From The Administrator - Protecting Ascension’s Children - Ascension (Government) - 31.01.2013
- On 21 January, the Ascension Island Council approved a policy approach towards the protection of the Island’s children from sexual abuse and inappropriate sexual activity, as well as from wider dangers.
- 8: From The Administrator - Two Boats Sports Centre - Ascension (Government) - 31.01.2013
- If you visited the Two Boats Club or Swimming Pool last week you will have seen the transformation of the tired old tennis court into a modern multi-use sports centre for Ascension residents.
- 9: From The Administrator - Upgrading Our Roads - Ascension (Government) - 31.01.2013
- It has been some time since the Government reported on the Island’s roads. I hope this will be the first of a regular series of information notes to you all.
- 10: Church News - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 31.01.2013
- This coming Sunday is a FAMILY SERVICE—music and address for younger folk. I am very grateful to Alison who will be playing the hymns. Everyone welcome!
- 11: Quest For Adventure Visits Ascension Island - Ascension (Internet News) - 31.01.2013
- Quest For Adventure Visits Ascension Island
- 12: Notice from the Administrator - Tasty Tucker and Georgetown Bakery - Ascension (Government) - 24.01.2013
- I would like to invite prospective bids from individuals or companies to use the Tasty Tucker and Bakery buildings
- 13: Hash Trash No: 1446 - Ascension (Sport) - 24.01.2013
- The hashers duly gathered at the Grotto waiting in anticipation for another great hash.
- 14: Parent Advice Drop In - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 24.01.2013
- Having problems with toddler tantrums?
- 15: Rough Seas Destroy Natural Archway - Ascension (Natural Events) - 24.01.2013
- Missing! One Arch Last seen in the small cove past the end of Long Beach.
- 16: From The Editor - Nicola - Ascension (Letters) - 24.01.2013
- Despite a rather full Islander this week, it’s been quite slow on the news front.
- 17: Ascension Island Conservation Department - Ascension (Conservation) - 24.01.2013
- We would like to welcome Cameron Stewart to the team;
- 18: ST. Marys Church - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 24.01.2013
- On Monday, February 4th.,we will start a new course of preparation for
- 19: Interserve Defence Ltd - Job Vacancy - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 24.01.2013
- Short Term Employment - Kitchen Assistant, Steward
- 20: Interserve Defence Ltd - Job Vacancy - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 24.01.2013
- 21: Met Office Ascension Island Base - The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 24.01.2013
- UK - An area of high pressure that developed over Scandinavia resulted in cold easterly winds blowing across much of the UK this week,
- 22: Met Office - Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 17.01.2013
- While parts of the UK are experiencing the first snow of 2013, other places around the world would be grateful for the clean, crisp and cold air; areas of Australia are enduring heatwaves and bushfires,
- 23: CHOSEN FROM OVER 300 NOMINATIONS –2 SAINTS AWARDED NVQ MEDALS FOR EXCELLENCE - Ascension (Press Release) - 17.01.2013
- St Helenians, Yvonne Williams and Jenny Corker MBE JP, have been awarded City and Guilds ‘Medal for Excellence’ in recognition of outstanding performance.
- 24: Hash Trash - Hash 1445 - Ascension (Sport) - 17.01.2013
- Parts of the group were silly enough to believe the local paper and formed up at the Devil’s Ashpit;
- 25: Conservation Weekly - Ascension (Conservation) - 17.01.2013
- Happy New Year to you all. -It has been a busy start to 2013.
On the 2nd January the Ascension Island Government Shipping and Conservation team provided tours for the RMS Christmas Cruise.
- 26: News From St Marys - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 17.01.2013
- A new course of Bible study commenced on Sunday last. For those interested in finding out more about St. John’s Gospel do join the group meeting at Dr. Bill’s house on Sunday evenings at 7-00pm..
- 27: Emergency Landing At Ascension Island - Ascension (Internet News) - 17.01.2013
- Wideawake Airfield was the scene in the early hours of Thursday 10 January of an emergency landing by a Delta Airlines Boeing 777 aircraft that had lost all the power to one of its two engines.
- 28: Hash trash no: 1442 - Ascension (Sport) - 10.01.2013
- A beautiful sunny day for a Christmas hash. As the hashers straggled together at the end of Long Beach a strange, mysterious present from Bladerunner was noticed;
- 29: Leon Nevan Wade - Ascension (People) - 10.01.2013
- The Wade family would like to welcome:Leon Nevan Wade - Born 31st December 2012 at 9.03am at Georgetown Hospital
- 30: VACANCY – MIDWIFE/NURSING SISTER - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 10.01.2013
- A position of Midwife/Nursing Sister will become available at the Georgetown Hospital at the end of April 2013.
- 31: Vacancies – External Works Team - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 10.01.2013
- The Operations Directorate of the Ascension Island Government is still looking for persons to complement its external works team,
- 32: Hash Thrash - Hash No: 1444 - Ascension (Sport) - 10.01.2013
- A good crowd formed at the Red Lion for the first hash of 2013. A number of hash virgins. Mike “Small Balls said we were going golfing”, Cameron and Frazier
- 33: RAF Leeming Staff Ride 2012 - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 10.01.2013
- A party of five Staff Ride personnel from RAF Leeming comprising Sergeant Darren Hart,
- 34: From The Editor - Jacqui - Ascension (Letters) - 10.01.2013
- Dear Readers, Happy New Year to you all! This is our first edition for 2013, happy reading!
- 35: Ascension Island Conservation Department - Ascension (Conservation) - 10.01.2013
- The Army Ornithological Society (AOS) visited the Island 26 November to 7 December to continue their surveying of the seabirds.
- 36: Met Office Ascension Island Base - The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 10.01.2013
- Low pressure with Atlantic fronts dominated at the start of the week, but mainly in the north of the UK. From Tuesday, high pressure building from the south brought mostly dry and settled and quite mild weather across much of the UK.
- 37: Award of MBE to Mrs Caroline 'Caz' Yon - Ascension (People) - 10.01.2013
- On 19 December, Mr Owen Sullivan, Acting Governor of St Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, issued the followinbg statement regarding the award of an MBE to Mrs Caroline Yon
- 38: From St Mary's Church - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 10.01.2013
- Many thanks to Alison Blunt who provided the music for a delightful evening around the Christmas tree at St. Mary’s on the first Sunday after Christmas.