|The Ascension Island Newspaper
| Issue No. 2165
||Thursday 20 June 2013
|Home | September 2011|
Articles published in September 2011Select individual articles below or view all 53 articles on one page.
53 articles published
|Jan (38)||Feb (26)||Mar (40)|
|Apr (36)||May (56)||Jun (22)|
|Jan (52)||Feb (30)||Mar (61)|
|Apr (32)||May (47)||Jun (47)|
|Jul (35)||Aug (32)||Sep (3)|
|Oct (37)||Nov (57)||Dec (28)|
|Jan (35)||Feb (58)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (42)||May (46)||Jun (57)|
|Jul (44)||Aug (38)||Sep (53)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (38)||Dec (47)|
- 1: From The Editors - Louise and Louise - Ascension (Letters) - 22.09.2011
- Dear Readers, With the rugby in full swing, there are many Islanders to be seen wandering around bleary-eyed!
- 2: Hash Thrash - Hash No: 1378 - Ascension (Sport) - 22.09.2011
- Under the shadows of the windmills, they waited. Then realised due to the number of social events this weekend – this may be it!
- 3: NEW ENTRY PERMIT FEES AND PROCEDURES - Ascension (Government) - 22.09.2011
- From the 1 October 2011, the Ascension Island Government will bring into force new fees for entry permits.
- 4: ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT - PRESS RELEASE - Ascension (Government) - 22.09.2011
- Head Teacher – Two Boats School
- 5: AISPCA - Puppy Power - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 22.09.2011
- It seems the new additions to our family have generated quite a bit of interest on the island and I’m feeling a little bit guilty that a few parents have probably been subjected to heartfelt begging and pleading for a puppy.
- 6: Views from Ascension - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 22.09.2011
- This week Our Own Correspondent, Louise Short recounts an incredible story from a chance meeting with two fellow passengers on a flight back to Ascension Island on 7th September 2011.
- 7: Conservation Weekly - Ascension (Conservation) - 22.09.2011
- The Anogramma ascensionis is from the Pteridaceae family and was thought to be extinct according to the Ashmoles.
- 8: Happy Birthday - Ascension (People) - 22.09.2011
- Look who turned 60 on the 6th September in Cyprus !
- 9: From St Mary's Church - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 22.09.2011
- Many on the island will have met David and Gill...
- 10: Two Boats Club - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 22.09.2011
- Food and Entertainment
- 11: Thanks from Commonwealth Youth Games Team - Ascension (Sport) - 22.09.2011
- The Commonwealth Youth Games Team would like to express their thanks and appreciation
- 12: Job Vacancy - Vehicle Mechanic - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 22.09.2011
- Role: Serco Defence, Science and Nuclear have a vacancy for a Vehicle Mechanic
- 13: Job Vacancy - General Assistant / Driver - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 22.09.2011
- The Obsidian Hotel, Ascension, has a vacancy for an General Assistant / Driver to join the Operations Manager in ensuring the smooth running of all of Obsidian’s day-to-day services.
- 14: Job Vacancies on Ascension Island - General Operative & a Stores Person - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 22.09.2011
- Interserve Defence on Ascension Island requires the services of a General Operative and a Stores Person to work on the Ascension Island Base.
- 15: Met Office Ascension Island Base - The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 22.09.2011
- UK Windy at first, as the tail-end of hurricane Katia continued to have an effect.
- 16: DEW POND RUN 2011 - Ascension (Sport) - 15.09.2011
- DEW POND RUN 2011 Sunday 20th November
- 17: News From The Grotto - Thought For The Week - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 15.09.2011
- This past weekend we remember that horrible day ten years ago that it seemed our world changed forever.
- 18: Hash Trash - Hash No: 1377 - Ascension (Sport) - 15.09.2011
- Ariane was the meeting place for the hashers this week. Some were happy to be standing around chatting but a start was called for and hazards identified.
- 19: Heritage Notes - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 15.09.2011
- The week the Heritage Society was the recipient of a wonderful photograph album from the early 1890’s.
- 20: Meeting of the Ascension Island Council on Friday 2nd September 2011 - Ascension (Government) - 15.09.2011
- The Ascension Island Council met in formal session on Friday 2nd September at 2pm in the Council Chamber.
- 21: New Shelter at English Bay - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 15.09.2011
- Thanks to who ever rebuilt the great new shelter at English Bay
- 22: From The Editors - Mike and Louise - Ascension (Letters) - 15.09.2011
- Dear Readers, Hope everyone has been enjoying the Rugby! There are still quite a number of games to go so fingers crossed! (Come on Japan!!)
- 23: The Flipper Trophy - Knockout Tournament - Ascension (Sport) - 15.09.2011
- Starts on Saturday 8th October 2011.
- 24: Conservation Weekly - Ascension (Conservation) - 15.09.2011
- This relatively small grey locust has a wide distribution that includes Africa and many remote islands in the Indian and Pacific Oceans
- 25: St Mary's Church - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 15.09.2011
- Last Sunday, marked the tenth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist atrocity against the United States of America.
- 26: Vacancy For Vehicle Mechanic - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 15.09.2011
- Serco Defence have a vacancy for a Vehicle Mechanice
- 27: TWO BOATS CLUB - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 15.09.2011
- Two Boats Club Entertainment and Food
- 28: New Chief Secretary - St Helena - Ascension (Government) - 15.09.2011
- Arriving on Thursday 15th September will be the new Chief Secretary, Owen O’Sullivan accompanied by his wife and young family.
- 29: Met Office Ascension Island Base - The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 15.09.2011
- UK - Another very unsettled week across the United Kingdom with successive weather charts looking more like January than September.
- 30: LEG CRAMPS - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 15.09.2011
- Leg cramps are a common, annoying but usually harmless condition that cause sudden muscle pain in the leg.
- 31: Bonfire Night - Scouts - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 15.09.2011
We are collecting wood now for 5th Nov.
- 32: Thanks to all my friends on Ascension from Pete Gillies - Ascension (People) - 08.09.2011
- I’d just like to thank all my friends on Ascension for the gifts, kind words and good wishes that I received during the last couple of weeks of my stay.
- 33: ASCENSION ISLAND GOVERNMENT - VACANCIES - Ascension (Job Vacancy) - 08.09.2011
- The Ascension Island Government is seeking to recruit suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following positions:
- 34: Departing Administrator and RAF Base Commander-A Tribute - Ascension (People) - 08.09.2011
- This week we say farewell to Ross Denny, the Administrator, and in a couple of months it will be the RAF base commander; Rod Duguid’s turn to say goodbye to Ascension.
- 35: From The Editor - Mike - Ascension (Letters) - 08.09.2011
- Dear Readers,
- 36: Conservation Weekly - Ascension (Conservation) - 08.09.2011
- On their final week of the summer holiday we took the Explorers to Bullock Ponds to look at the plant life and wildlife around the area and to learn about the letterbox.
- 37: St Mary's Church - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 08.09.2011
- The mid-week Holy Communion at St. Mary’s Church starts again this week.
- 38: Police Article - Ascension (Education) - 08.09.2011
- In recent weeks we have noted that some motorists have not advised our licensing section of the renewal of their vehicles insurance policies
- 39: Ascension Island - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 08.09.2011
- Ascension Island Global Position - Latitude -7.942, Longitude -14.370
- 40: Ladybirds Group - Upcoming Events - Ascension (Education) - 08.09.2011
- We will be holding a coffee morning at the Ladybirds Building on 22nd September from 10.30am. Please come and join us.
- 41: Farewell and Happy Retirement Pete! - Ascension (People) - 01.09.2011
- If once you have slept on an Island,
- 42: APPOINTMENT OF ACTING GOVERNOR - Ascension (Government) - 01.09.2011
- Governor Gurr today announced that the Attorney General, Ken Baddon, will be Acting Governor during the coming interregnum following his departure on 23rd September and prior to the arrival of Mark Capes on 29th October.
- 43: From The Editors - Kitty - Ascension (Letters) - 01.09.2011
- Dear Readers, Well school started on Wednesday, 31 August which is really good news for me as it means that most of the editors are now back on Island!
- 44: FAREWELL BASH - HASH NO 1375 - Ascension (Sport) - 01.09.2011
- THE END OF AN ERA.....the hounds met at No Brakes’ house in a melancholy mood.
- 45: Help & Hope - Ascension (People) - 01.09.2011
- Sponsor Run/Walk Accounts and some dates for your diary
- 46: Conservation Weekly - Ascension (Conservation) - 01.09.2011
- Ascension Explorers and Farewell from Olivia
- 47: Klinka Klub Fishing Competition - Ascension (Sport) - 01.09.2011
- The Klinka Klub held their Fishing Competition on Sunday 28th August. A total of four teams braved the early drizzly morning and despite the weather conditions everyone was in good spirits.
- 48: Farewell Pete! - Ascension (People) - 01.09.2011
- After many years of service on Ascension, principally at the Power Station at English Bay, Pete Gillies is retiring and leaving Ascension.
- 49: WANTED:- NEW GUIDE GUIDER 1ST ASCENSION GIRLGUIDING UNIT - Ascension (People) - 01.09.2011
- With effect from 30th September 2011 I will resign from my post as Guide Guider.
- 50: News from Two Boats School - Ascension (Education) - 01.09.2011
- Congratulations to all our ex Year 11 students on their fantastic GCSE results.
- 51: St Mary's Church - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 01.09.2011
- Many thanks to all the islanders who have given expressions of support for the 1989 Prayer Book.
- 52: TWO BOATS CLUB - Ascension (Miscellaneous) - 01.09.2011
- Entertainment and Food on Sale
- 53: Met Office Ascension Island Base - The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 01.09.2011
- UK: Apart from Monday which was mainly fine and dry, it was a very unsettled week with rain or showers in most places.