|The Ascension Island Newspaper
| Issue No. 2161
||Friday 24 May 2013
|Home | March 2005|
Articles published in March 2005Select individual articles below or view all 72 articles on one page.
72 articles published
|Jan (38)||Feb (26)||Mar (40)|
|Apr (36)||May (36)|
|Jan (52)||Feb (30)||Mar (61)|
|Apr (32)||May (47)||Jun (47)|
|Jul (35)||Aug (32)||Sep (3)|
|Oct (37)||Nov (57)||Dec (28)|
|Jan (35)||Feb (58)||Mar (39)|
|Apr (42)||May (46)||Jun (57)|
|Jul (44)||Aug (38)||Sep (53)|
|Oct (59)||Nov (38)||Dec (47)|
- 1: Two Boats School Swimming Gala - Ascension (Education) - 31.03.2005
- Last Thursday Two Boats School took over Travellers Hill pool for the 2005 swimming gala.
- 2: Letter from Editors - Ascension (Letters) - 31.03.2005
- We hope you all had a nice time over Easter (and didn’t eat too many chocolate eggs).
- 3: SV Concordia - Ascension (Internet News) - 31.03.2005
- The SV Concordia, Class Afloat ship, dropped her anchor in James Bay on St. Helena around 12:15 on Monday 7th March, after travelling from Walvis Bay.
- 4: Hash No: 1048 - Ascension (Internet News) - 31.03.2005
- A rather large crowd gathered at the Blue Oyster, formerly known as the Turner’s beach hut for this week’s hash.
- 5: Church Page - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 31.03.2005
- Thursday of this week the Church Council will be meeting for the last time before the Easter Vestry Meeting.
- 6: News From The Grotto - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 31.03.2005
- I’d like to wish everyone a very Happy Easter. I hope that the weekend was a pleasant and joyful one for all.
- 7: First Hydrothermal Vents in the South Atlantic Ocean - Ascension (Internet News) - 31.03.2005
- UK and US Scientists Visit Ascension as Part of Their Search for the First Hydrothermal Vents in the South Atlantic Ocean
- 8: The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 31.03.2005
- Statistics for the week ending Monday 28 March 2005
- 9: BROWNIES “LEND A HAND” - Ascension (Letters) - 31.03.2005
- Once again, the 1st Ascension Brownie Guides were out picking up litter.
- 10: Creature Feature - Ascension (Children's Corner) - 31.03.2005
- This Week – Rabbits (Or Bunnieus Easterus)
- 11: Airport For St.Helena - Ascension (Internet News) - 23.03.2005
- The South Atlantic island of St Helena, which is one of the most isolated inhabited islands in the world, is set to get its own international airport.
- 12: Vacancy: Head Teacher, (re-advertised) Ascension Island Government - Ascension (Government) - 23.03.2005
- With the present Head Teacher of Two Boats School due to retire in August 2005,
- 13: News From St. Mary's - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 23.03.2005
- On that first Palm Sunday a procession made a slow entry into Jerusalem.
- 14: Island Council Update - Ascension (Government) - 23.03.2005
- The following decisions were taken at the Island Council meeting held on 10 March 2005:
- 15: Creature Feature - Ascension (People) - 23.03.2005
- This Week – Yellow Canary
- 16: News From The Grotto - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 23.03.2005
- This week during Lent, the readings are all about resurrection.
- 17: Hash Trash - Hash No:1046 - Ascension (Sport) - 23.03.2005
- Another difficult hash was promised, but there was still a good crowd of hardy hashers ready to tackle whatever the hares could throw at them.
- 18: LINKS WEST HOUSING ESTATE - Ascension (Government) - 23.03.2005
- Everyone on the Island will now be aware that the erection process of the Links West Housing Estate how been suspended,
- 19: Ladybirds are go!!! - Ascension (People) - 23.03.2005
- Water play – on a big big scale. Forget the bath toys, the paddling pool, even the garden hose.
- 20: The Christening of WHITNEY JEAN ARMS- LAWRENCE - Ascension (People) - 23.03.2005
- We would like to express our thanks to everyone who made the Christening of our baby girl Whitney Jean a special & memorable day.
- 21: News From St. Marys - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 23.03.2005
- What the disciple and Mary witnessed at the tomb that first Easter morning they were able to go and tell others the wonderful news "He is Risen".
- 22: Book Review - Ascension (People) - 23.03.2005
- Coming down to Ascension every year is bliss for me as it gives me an opportunity to catch up on some reading.
- 23: Jenny’s Challenge - Ascension (People) - 23.03.2005
- For those of you that missed my first week I will just refresh. My challenge is to do something different on the island every fortnight to demonstrate how much is available here to do.
- 24: From The Editors - Ascension (Letters) - 23.03.2005
- Pleased to read of the path clearance and Rupert’s Missing Link.
- 25: Hash Trash - Hash 1047 - Ascension (Sport) - 23.03.2005
- A determined group of hashers collected at the NASA site, ready for whatever the hares were going to throw at them this week. The usual Ascension hazard warnings, guava, loose rocks, drop-offs, you know the sort of thing. Soon it was on-on, with the FRBs immediately sent on a runners loop.
- 26: The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 23.03.2005
- Statistics for the week ending Monday 21 March 2005
- 27: RUPERT’S MISSING LINK - Ascension (People) - 23.03.2005
- No I am sorry, this is not a mystery story from the tales of Rupert Bear!
- 28: VACANCY – SPANISH TEACHER, TWO BOATS SCHOOL. - Ascension (Government) - 23.03.2005
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Spanish Teacher at the Two Boats School.
- 29: VACANCY - TEACHER OF ENGLISH AND SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS - Ascension (Government) - 23.03.2005
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified secondary teachers to fill the post of teacher of English and Special Educational Needs at the Two Boats School.
- 30: Job Vacancy - Customer Services Assistant - EES - Ascension (Internet News) - 23.03.2005
- “ESS is looking for a Customer Services Assistant to work with their Catering/Cleaning team at Travellers Hill.
- 31: Falklands Runners Score Big in Stanley Marathon - Falklands (Children's Corner) - 21.03.2005
- The first annual Stanley Marathon has ended at 1600 on Sunday, 20 March 2005 with many of the winners having Falklands connections.
Photos (c) J. Brock (FINN) - H. E. the Governor Mr. Pearce Handing out the prizes to the Stanley Football Club.
- 32: Rockhopper Copper set to Hit Bookshelves - Tristan (Children's Corner) - 14.03.2005
- In 2006 it will be 500 years since the Portuguese explorer Tristao da Cunha discovered what is now the most remote inhabited island on Earth -- the mountainous volcano summit towering out of the South Atlantic, 1,500 miles from Cape Town, 1,300 miles from St Helena, home now to just 300 people:
Photo(c) Beau Rowlands - Conrad at a recent Tristan da Cunha Association meeting.
- 33: CHRISTENING OF KELIS SHAY LOUISE BEARD - Ascension (People) - 10.03.2005
- We would like to thank all those who made the christening of our daughter Kelis Shay Louise a special day.
- 34: Church News - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 10.03.2005
- It was wonderful to have a full Church for a Thanks Giving Service for Mothering Sunday.
- 35: From The Editors - Ascension (Letters) - 10.03.2005
- Firstly, congratulations to Melanie and David on the Christening of their daughter Kelis
- 36: Hash Trash - Hash 1045 - Ascension (Sport) - 10.03.2005
- The Hash gathered, growing nervous as rumours circulated of a trip down to Pillar Bay.
- 37: Jenny’s Challenge - Ascension (People) - 10.03.2005
- Okay, so you voted and this weekend I spent Mother’s day afternoon shooting clay pigeons.
- 38: Creature Feature - Ascension (Children's Corner) - 10.03.2005
- This Week – Gecko’s
- 39: Presentations to the Library and Resource Centre - Ascension (Internet News) - 10.03.2005
- Two presentations were made to the Ascension Island Library and Resource Centre on Monday night.
- 40: From The Library Desk- EXTRA - Ascension (Internet News) - 10.03.2005
- I have been asked to answer concerns regarding the 25p per night overdue fees for books that are not returned on or by the correct date.
- 41: The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 10.03.2005
- Statistics for the week ending Monday 7th March 2005
- 42: News from The Grotto – Thought for the Week - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 10.03.2005
- This past Sunday was Mothering Sunday, the day to remember our mothers and all mothers around the world.
- 43: TSUNAMI DISASTER FUND - ASCENSION ISLAND - Ascension (Internet News) - 10.03.2005
- The Tsunami Disaster Fund Collection by the People of Ascension Island has raised a final total of £11,186.84.
- 44: Radio Ascension Island - Ascension (Internet News) - 10.03.2005
- “This is Radio Ascension Island; you are listening to the latest on what is happening on the island.”
- 45: Thanks - Ascension (Letters) - 10.03.2005
- I would like to say a very big thank you to Gary and Lisa for organizing a surprise party for her 15th birthday.
- 46: Police Activity Report - Ascension (Law and Order) - 10.03.2005
- The Police service received a total of 197 reports for the year 2004,
- 47: Stars in Your Eyes - Ascension (People) - 03.03.2005
- Saturday night saw the Saints Club host a Talent competition in aid of the Asian Tsunami Disaster fund.
- 48: Church News - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 03.03.2005
- We all like to remember the happiest and most experience day of our life.
- 49: Diary of a Councillor - Ascension (Government) - 03.03.2005
- 16 February Read strategy paper on Land Issues written by the AG detailing
- 50: From The Editor - Ascension (Letters) - 03.03.2005
- Looking forward to another weekend of 6 Nations rugby, just to show a certain Mr. Jones of the Obsidian hotel how rugby should be played
- 51: Letters To The Islander - Ascension (Letters) - 03.03.2005
- Publishing the debate on Dumping of Food in the Islander can only benefit the island community, as both parties,
- 52: Creature Features - Ascension (People) - 03.03.2005
- This Week – Donkeys
- 53: Hash Trash - Ascension (Sport) - 03.03.2005
- The hash got off to a bit of a delayed start, thanks to a hasher who shall remain nameless, who tried, without too much success,
- 54: News From Two Boats School - Ascension (Education) - 03.03.2005
- How do Years 3 and 4 feel About School
- 55: The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 03.03.2005
- Statistics for the week ending Monday 21ST February 2005
- 56: News From The Grotto - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 03.03.2005
- Thought For The Week - 2nd Sunday of Lent
- 57: OBSERVATIONS OF A TRASH TROLL - Ascension (Internet News) - 03.03.2005
- In my many times out on the roadside, trolling for trash,
- 58: Successful start of something BIG for Ariane - Ascension (Internet News) - 03.03.2005
- On Saturday 12th February Arianespace’s increased performance Ariane 5, capable of carrying up to 9,600kg of payload, was launched successfully from Kourou in French Guiana.
- 59: TSUNAMI DEW POND RUN – SUNDAY 27TH FEBRUARY 2005 - Ascension (Sport) - 03.03.2005
- We would like to thank all those that took part and aided in the Tsunami Dew Pond Run on Sunday.
- 60: Injured Donkey - Ascension (Letters) - 03.03.2005
- I have attached a photograph taken of a stallion, a frequent visitor to the Interserve fenceline at Travellers Hill.
- 61: FOCUS ON… AMATEUR RADIO - Ascension (People) - 03.03.2005
- In hopefully the first of many features on Ascension Island life, Ian Coverdale explains his fascination for amateur radio. Don’t forget, if you have something to share then we would love to hear from you.
- 62: Church News - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 03.03.2005
- It is good practice to share with other people our experiences, it is not good practice to hold on to these experiences which we know can be of benefit to some one else.
- 63: Green Mountain National Park Logo Competition - Ascension (Government) - 03.03.2005
- A competition was held with the school children of Two Boats School to design a logo for the proposed Green Mountain National Park.
- 64: From The Editor - Ascension (Letters) - 03.03.2005
- Just me this week so I hope there aren’t too many errors!
- 65: CONSULTATIVE POLL Appointment - Ascension (Government) - 03.03.2005
- As previously announced, the Consultative Poll on whether St. Helena should have the new Constitution proposed in the Heads of Agreement will be conducted on 25 May 2005.
- 66: CONSULTATIVE POLL - Eligibility Criteria and Registration Details - Ascension (Government) - 03.03.2005
- My appointment as Consultative Poll Manager, as well as Registration Officer and Returning Officer for the Consultative Poll to be held on 25th May 2005 has now been confirmed.
- 67: TSUNAMI DISASTER FUND - Ascension (Internet News) - 03.03.2005
- The Tsunami Earthquake in December 2004 mobilised (extra)ordinary citizens of the world, governments, aid agencies, regional organisations, religious societies and many, many others.
- 68: News from The Grotto – Thought for the Week - Ascension (Religion/Church) - 03.03.2005
- Third Sunday of Lent
- 69: Hash Trash - Hash No. 1044 - Ascension (Sport) - 03.03.2005
- The starting point this week was the VC. With promises of a nice, flat hash (yeah, like we fell for that one!!) and not much in the way of hazards,
- 70: The Met Office Weather Report - Ascension (Met Office) - 03.03.2005
- Statistics for the week ending Monday 28th February 2005
- 71: From The Library Desk - Ascension (Internet News) - 03.03.2005
- Over the past few months I have heard parents remarking upon the fact that their child brings home the same book day after day.
- 72: Ascension Green Mountain National Park Photographic Competition 2005 - Ascension (Government) - 03.03.2005
- Another exciting opportunity to put all those pictures tucked away in dusty albums or hopefully non-dusty hard drives to good use.