The Ascension Island Government will shortly have a vacancy within its Conservation Department for an Assistant Conservation Officer.
The duties of the post will include the following:
- Assisting the Conservation Officer in achieving the aims and objectives of the Conservation Department.
- Implementing the Green Mountain National Part Management Plan.
- Creating and implementing species action plans for Ascension endemic plants.
- Assisting the Conservation Officer with implementing the relevant goals of the Environment Charter.
- Assisting the Conservation Officer in an administrative role.
- Assisting with tours and education activities.
- Representing the Conservation Department Internationally when required.
- Assisting with existing monitoring programmes and ongoing restoration projects.
- Deputising for the Conservation Officer during times of leave/absence from office.
The successful applicant should have:
- A good standard of education, preferably to ĎA Levelí standard, and at least five years relevant experience. A qualification in a discipline related to Conservation would be an advantage.
- A good understanding of conservation issues relating to Ascension & other UK overseas territories.
- Horticultural experience.
- The ability to work independently to a high standard.
- Experience of field work.
- Excellent IT ability.
- An excellent degree of physical fitness.
- A valid driving licence for class A, B & C vehicles (cars, landrovers, etc).
- Good administration and public speaking skills.
Engagement will be on a single status basis. A competitive salary will be paid. The successful candidate will also receive: a single allowance of £2,797 per annum, rent free accommodation, utility allowances, mid-tour passage/flight, a gratuity at completion of 2 year contract, free medical and primary dental treatment and generous baggage allowances.
An initial 2 year contract will be offered and the successful candidate will be expected to take up post in August/September 2011.
For further details about the post please contact Mr Stedson Stroud Conservation Officer on telephone +247 6359. Application forms and a copy of the Job Description are available from the Administratorís Office by telephoning (+247) 7000 ext 131 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed application forms should be submitted to the Human Resources Adviser on fax number +247 6152 or by email to email@example.com by no later than Monday 1st August 2011.
A H Nicholls
Human Resources Adviser