Ascension : VACANCY – MECHANICAL FITTER
Submitted by The Islander (Ascension Island Government) 01.12.2011 (Article Archived on 15.12.2011)
The Ascension Island Government is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified, experienced and versatile person to fill a position of Mechanical Fitter.
Ascension Island Government
The Ascension Island Government is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified, experienced and versatile person to fill a position of Mechanical Fitter. The position would ideally suit someone who is seeking a challenge and would like to work with a small compact team in a multi-tasking environment.
Amongst other duties, the successful candidate will be expected to:
· Undertake maintenance and repairs to all types of road vehicles, plant and marine engines for AIG and its service users.
· Carry out the duties of a certified MOT Inspector.
· Support AIG plant operations including operating and maintaining plant.
· Support AIG marine operations including operating and maintaining marine craft.
· Carry out stevedore/tanker and other ship duties as a core function.
· Attend Road Traffic Accidents as requested by the Police and examine vehicles involved in accidents and prepare reports for the same.
The successful candidate must:
- Have or be working towards NVQ Level 3 Mechanics or has been certified competent by experience from working as a mechanic on all types of vehicles (and marine engines) for a minimum period of five years.
- Have a sound practical knowledge of mechanical diesel & petrol engines.
- Have some experience in operating and maintaining marine craft.
- Have a sound knowledge of vehicle faultfinding and up to date knowledge of vehicle diagnostic testing.
- Be familiar with Metal Inert Gas (MIG) and Manual Metal Arc (MMA) and gas welding.
- Be flexible to meet the needs of the Organisation.
- Have the ability to work as a part of a small team.
- Have a working knowledge of Health & Safety in the Work Place, in particular a mechanical workshop.
- Hold a clean valid drivers licence for classes of vehicles A to J4.
A competitive salary will be paid. The successful candidate will also receive: an appropriate Ascension allowance, rent free accommodation, utility allowances, mid-tour passage/flight, a gratuity on completion of 2 year contract, free medical and primary dental treatment and generous baggage allowances.
Further information about the post is available from the Marine, Plant & Transport Team Leader on telephone number (+247) 6220 or email email@example.com . Application forms and a copy of the Job Description are available from the Administrator’s Office by telephoning (+247) 7000 ext 131 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Completed forms should be sent to the Human Resources Adviser on fax number +247 6152 or by email to email@example.com by no later than Friday 9th December 2011.
Alan H Nicholls
Human Resources Adviser
21 November 2011