Ascension : Public Information
Submitted by The Islander (Ascension Island Government) 11.02.2010 (Article Archived on 25.02.2010)
The following are some of the matters raised at the informal Council meeting on 8 February 2010:
- Request for the Administrator, the AIG Directors and elected members to hold a joint meeting with the Electorate to answer questions pertaining to the restructuring of AIG.
It has been decided that a meeting will be held with all AIG staff. No date or time has been set.
- The Administrator was asked to provide Councillors with two organograms of the AIG before and after the restructure, and arrange for the Directors to meet with elected members to discuss related issues.
Taxpayers are invited to submit any questions and queries to elected members to carry forward at this meeting.
- As requested, Councillors have been asked to be more proactive in communicating with the electorate.
- It was requested that elected members be allowed to look into current policies (Housing, Property, Business, Entry, etc), and recommend changes that will bring them more in line with the new Constitution.
The UK Government has set parameters, but the new Constitution does not prevent the people of Ascension from pursuing options for economic development. It is in the long-term interests of the community of Ascension for the public to contribute suggestions and ideas for consideration by the UK Government.
- A proposal was put forward for the Councillors of St Helena and Councillors of Ascension to work together and pool suggestions and ideas for development and progress that will benefit the peoples of both islands.
St Helena and Ascension’s characters and assets are very different, and have the potential to complement each others for prosperity.
C Leo (Cllr)
09. 02. 10.