The Ascension Island Newspaper

 SPORT (0)

Member South Atlantic
Remote Territories Media Association

The Islander Newspaper Ascension Island
  Issue No. 2280 Online Edition Thursday 3 September 2015 
Home | May 2014 Please tell us what you think of this article. Tell a friend Print Friendly

Ascension : Ascension Island Football
Submitted by The Islander (Islander Editors) 08.05.2014 (Article Archived on 22.05.2014)

Raiders were forced into 4 changes, Bagley, Corey, Duncan and Johnson all out through injury and were replaced by Lyndon, Josh, Puck 2 and Benji.

Ascension Island Football



Raiders bounce back with a 6 goal thumping.

Raiders were forced into 4 changes, Bagley, Corey, Duncan and Johnson all out through injury and were replaced by Lyndon, Josh, Puck 2 and Benji. Two Boats started with their 3rd different goal keeper of the season, with Papa the one trusted between the sticks this time. He was tested early on when a curling free kick saw Bluey moving away from the ball before having to change direction just in time push the ball onto the post where the Bennett was following up but he fired high and wide. The in form Billy was beginning to cause problems for stand-in defensive pairing Philly and Julian on one occasion forcing Philly to clear with Kelly coming way off his line in an attempt to clear which lead to Raiders conceding a free kick on the edge of the box. Nicky John took the resulting free kick which saw Kelly back paddling before tipping over the bar. Raiders broke the deadlock when Josh forced the ball forward into the 18 yard box, Melvyn appeared in control but Dewy stole in to fire into the roof of the net. Two Boats almost responded within minutes when Shoe latched on to a through ball and lobed Kelly who was caught in no manís land but was saved by the cross bar allowing Raiders to clear. The first half ended with possession evenly balanced but not before Melvyn had a free kick saved following a foul on the edge of the box from Fuller.

The 2nd began like the first both teams creating chances but not quite able to score. Raiders almost added to their tally when Dewy whipped in a cross from the right wing which saw Benji beat Papa to the ball only for it to rebound of the post allowing Melvyn to clear. Billy brought the game level when a bouncing through ball was contested between himself and Fuller, Kelly was once again caught off his line and this time paid as Billy lobbed the keeper to score. Two Boats were now controlling the game with Andy at the back marshalling the team and Deuce once again breaking up the play and playing simple passes to start another attack. But Dewy had other ideas when against the run of play he picks up a loose ball and beats Papa at his far post with a half volley. The wind was now playing a major part in the match as Raiders struggled to get the ball out of their half, Two Boats almost equalised again when Billy and Shoe linked up only for Shoe to fire over the bar. Billy had another opportunity when Cody sent in a low cross, he controlled under pressure but blasted over the bar. Another fizzing Two Boats cross into a crowded box saw Philly attempting to clear whilst facing his own goal, the defender miss kicked his clearance but the ball was straight into the arms of Kelly. The matched changed when Two Boats was forced to substitute Andy through injury. Raiders took full advantage of the uncertainty at the back by scoring 4 goals in 25 minutes. Benji got himself onto the score sheet when he received the ball on the edge of the box, surround by two defenders he ran through them and confidently slotted pass Papa. Dewy went on to score two more to help in his personal quest for top goal scorer and Consey also got himself on the score sheet with an individual effort.

 Two Boats were unlucky not to grab an equaliser but with both teams suffering from several changes Raiders will be happy that the players who came in for them hit the ground running.




Interserve secure the double over VC Milan

The first half was played out with VC piling on the pressure, IDL sucked it up, not playing with the conviction of the week before.  VC decided to start with youngster Scott C leaving Dominic on the bench despite the success of the two of them playing the full match together the previous week. There were constant urges from IDL front men to cover Kingy but he was finding loads of space in the middle of the field and seeing a lot of the ball, but it was to no advantage. Jaie-Jaie was defending well and with Mario Peaches playing in front of the defence, VC was being forced to shoot from outside of the area. There were attempts by Jaie-Jaie to lighten the pressure with bursts forward and even managed a shot over the top. In all VC managed ten shots in the half through Mario A, Dutch, Boot, Scott and Kingy,  compared to IDLís three from Jaie-Jaie, Cox and Shonray but crucially the score line remained at nil-nil. And despite having the majority of the play it was VC

who was the most frustrated, marked by a rare outburst from Dutch and Marioís long shot from half way line that was easily caught by Damon.

Second half saw IDL starting more assertive and with the intent to attack. Ten minutes into the second half deadlock was broken when IDL were awarded a penalty for a handball. Whitey was judged to have raised his hands despite the ball being smacked at him, VC protesting heavily against the decision. Shonray stepped up and made no mistake in burying his shot down the middle. VC got forward a cross from Jason A and whilst there was a confident call from Keeper Damon, Dutch challenged and clashed with the keeper barely managing to hang on to the ball. Geordie Cox then had two attempts sail over the top before VC attacked again with Mario A delivering a shot to the keepers hand and Ashley firing wide. But it was IDL who now had the momentum and in the 79th minute made the score two-nil. A free-kick was awarded to IDL and with tempers fraught there was a bit of Ďaftersí with Errol and Bonkers. Shonray took the free-kick and it rebounded of the bar, Bonkers fought for the ball and managed to beat the keeper poking the ball into the corner of the goal. At the other end Dominic, who was on for Jason A, fired a low shot which the keeper spilled for the corner. The corner was initially cleared but Dominic crossed it back in, IDL cleared as far as Boot who thundered a low shot through the players and Damon had no chance of saving. The game became a bit scrappy in the final minutes, Kingy unusually frustrated, Shonray back in defence clearing the ball anywhere out of their area. Both teams managed further attempts at goal but the score remained at two-one.

VC will wonder how they lost the game after having most of the play in the first half and disappointed in the chances that went missing. IDL will be glad to have held on and secured a further three points in their title challenge.





9 man MCR see off Inbetweeners to continue their unbeaten run

Inbetweeners mustíve thought that it was finally time to break their duck when they saw a very changed MCR team consisting of only 9 players many of whom were making their debuts on Ascension. Things were looking up when within 2 minutes a long ball over the top from Inbetweeners saw Sue break into the box and fire low into the corner of the net. But despite the 2 man advantage Inbetweeners could not capitalise as MCR began creating more chances with Inbetweeners resorting to counter attacking. As Inbetweeners grew more in confidence they were dealt a blow when Nicky failed to clear whilst running towards his own goal, the ball was eventually half cleared but came to the foot of Mark Taylor who volleyed in from the edge of the 18 yard box. MCR continued to use the ball more constructively and with the wind as an aid pinned Inbetweeners in their own half. Then a defence splitting pass from Taylor saw Kieran in on goal who placed the ball into the net. Drama at the end of the first half when Inbetweeners goal keeper BBC brought down an MCR forward following another over the top ball and was given a Yellow Card for his challenge. Goughy stepped up and calmly placed the resulting penalty to the keepers right.

The 2nd half started quickly with MCR scoring another within a minute of the kick off and Inbetweeners responding quickly with Dook and Sue in a 2 on 1 situation, Dook squaring the ball to the unmarked Sue who blasted into the net. 65 minutes in and MCR continued to squander chances giving Inbetweeners a glimmer of hope but they could not convert any of the chances they created as MCR went on to score two more with Tex finally getting on the score sheet after several attempts throughout the match.

Inbetweeners will be disappointed as this was a perfect opportunity for the upset of the season and will perhaps look back in hindsight and decide playing Tony King on the wing instead of the centre of the park where he wouldíve had more influence was a mistake, MCR on the other hand will be happy with the 3 points as they take a step closer to winning the league.




<< First < PreviousArticle 20 of 25
within May 2014
Next > Last >>
      Powered by NIC.ACCopyright © 1971-2015 The Islander NewspaperDesign by CrownNet