Ascension : Ascension Island Conservation Department
Submitted by The Islander (Conservation Office) 23.09.2010 (Article Archived on 07.10.2010)
Palmer’s – Experimental Farm
This is an abandoned small farm site established in the 1830’s between the Norfolk Island Pines of Breakneck and Mountain Red Hill. The Area is choked with prickly pear (opuntia) and various acscias, but detailed search will reveal the remains of two small cottages, low walled fields of sanseviera, a double water tank and associated sheep trough. In the small ravines below the ruined cottages one can find Persian Lilac, Silver Oaks, Mangoes, Cape Yews, Ficus, (rubber) Giant Alloes, Olives, Dragon Trees (Dracaena), Austrailian Wattle, and other botanical relics of the undertaking. (Packer, 2002).
The crew of the Sea Dragon came to visit Conservation; gave a presentation about their research on plastic pollution found in the ocean. The 5 Gyres; how plastics affect the environment and ecosystems. They also brought in to show us the water samples they collected on their way to Ascension.
We then took them up on the mountain where they did a walk to the Dewpond to see the scenery and the historical features of Green Mountain; to finish the day; they did some volunteering in the Endemic Plant Reintroduction Site clearing invasives.
‘Thank you to the Sea Dragon Team.’
Volunteers welcome. Please contact Olivia Renshaw or Natasha Williams. Ascension Island Conservation Department. Georgetown. Tel: 6359. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org