Ascension : SWITCH ASH FOR CASH
Submitted by The Islander (Islander Internet Editor) 19.03.2009 (Article Archived on 02.04.2009)
Most people underestimate the dangers of smoking. People often start when they are young, when health problems can seem a long way off.
But nicotine addiction creates a life-long dependency on tobacco. As soon as you start smoking, you are more likely to suffer from minor illness- and of course you are dramatically increasing the risk of serious diseases later in life. The younger you start the more cigarettes you smoke, the greater the risks you face.
NOW FOR SOME FACTS:
- Smoking is the biggest single cause of ill health and premature death in UK.
- Smokers have a 1 in 2 risk of getting ill and dying early from smoking.
- Smoking kills 120,000 people each year in UK, compared with 5,000 who die in road accidents.
- 13 people die each hour because of smoking.
- Each cigarette on average takes 11 minutes off your life.
- Over fifty diseases are caused by smoking, twenty of them are fatal.
- £1,600 that’s how much you could save if you give up your twenty a day habit.
- £800 is what the average smoker gives to the UK government in tax each year.
- Smoking causes at least 80% of all deaths from Lung Cancer.
- Less than 10% of Lung Cancer patients survive five years.
Now for the Good News
Stopping smoking can make a big difference to your health. It is never too late to stop smoking. The benefits begin straight away. You reduce your risk of getting serious disease no matter what age you give up.
Stopping smoking is the single best thing you can do to improve your health and increase your life expectancy.
Surveys show that at least 70% of smokers would like to stop. The most important single factor is making a real commitment to stop, but people who use medication and get professional help can double their chances of susses. And the really good news is that help is on hand- contact the Base Medical Centre on x 3311 or GTH on 6252 for professional advice on stopping smoking.
YOU CAN DO IT!